When it comes to eCommerce platforms, the first technology that comes to mind is Shopify. And with good reason, Shopify holds 11% of the market share for the “eCommerce platform” category. One of the reasons for the platform’s popularity is its ability to accommodate a wide variety of business sizes, whether they generate over $1.6 billion in sales (JB HiFi Australia) or less than $100,000. Here are some of the major brands that have chosen the platform in recent years: Staples Canada, Pepsi and AllBirds.
So, how do you choose the right Shopify version for your eCommerce? Let’s explore the different versions and understand when it’s beneficial to upgrade.
Features included in all Shopify licenses:
- Check out PCI: PCI Level 1 compliance is a banking security standard governing the secure storage of credit cards.
It is the highest level of the PCI standard and is mandatory for all companies that store credit card data in their systems.
- Shopify CDN: A CDN refers to a set of web servers spread across multiple sites worldwide. Content is delivered to site visitors from the server closest to them. Shopify’s global CDN means that stores load reliably and quickly around the world, reducing response and load times and ensuring data flow even during busy trading periods.
- Subscription: $29 USD /month with annual payment
- Commission on transactions using Shopify Payment: 2.9% + 30¢ online (2.7% + 0¢ in person)
- Transaction fee if you choose NOT to use Shopify Payment: 2%, plus your alternative processor’s fees
- Up to 45% off shipping with Canada Post
Who is Shopify Basic for?
Are you starting a small business or trying to create an online storefront for an existing business? If your store is small and you don’t need much e-commerce functionality, this is the plan for you. But if your products are expensive or you sell a lot of them, the costly transaction fees of 2.9% + 30¢ will add up quickly. Under $350,000 in online sales per year, however, it is still the least expensive edition.
Promotional codes, gift card management, and blogging are included.
Beware, Basic Shopify only allows you to have 2 accesses to the platform and does not offer any management report.
- Subscription: $79 USD /month with annual payment (vs 132$/month)
- Commission on transactions: 2.7% + 30¢
- Transaction fee if you choose NOT to use Shopify Payment: 1%, plus your alternative processor’s fees
- Up to 50% off shipping with Canada Post
When to switch to Shopify? When you need :
- 3 to 5 employees access to Shopify
- Standard reporting and data analysis capabilities
- Set up international domains to optimize your SEO
- Manage international pricing to customize your prices by country and region.
If your needs have evolved towards any of these features, or if your sales volume exceeds $350,000/year (using Shopify Payment ), Shopify is the right version for your online business.
- Subscription: 389$ CAD/month with annual payment (vs 517$/month)
- Commission on transactions: 2.4% + 30¢
- Transaction fee if you decide NOT to use Shopify Payment: 0.5%, in addition to your alternative processor’s fees
- Canada Post Shipping Discount: Up to 53
When to upgrade to Advanced Shopify? When you need :
- From 6 to 15 employees access to Shopify
- Advanced reporting and data analysis capabilities
- Display exact shipping rates at checkout
- Adjust the prices of your product variants according to the country or region.
If your needs have evolved into any of these features, or if your sales volume exceeds $1,200,000/year (using Shopify Payment), Advanced Shopify is the right and least expensive version (combining the transaction fee and monthly subscription cost) for your online business.
- 2 types of pricing, depending on the volume of sales:
- Subscription: $2000.00 US/month under $800,000 US/month (aprox.: $1.1M CAD) online sales.
- From US$800,000/month (aprox.: $1.1M CAD) of online sales, the pricing becomes exclusively a percentage of online sales: 0.25%.
- Commission on transactions: 2.15% + 30¢
- Transaction fee if you decide NOT to use Shopify Payment: 0.15%, in addition to your alternative processor’s fees
- Canada Post Shipping Discount: For more information on the Canada Post discount, you should definitely speak with a Shopify representative directly.
Shopify Plus is the only edition that offers, among other things:
- Shopify POS Pro for free (US$89/month with other editions)
- Access to Shopify B2B (Wholesale will be completely replaced by Shopify B2B in 2024).
- Shopify Function (replaces Shopify Script): Shopify Functions allows developers to customize the backend logic that powers part of Shopify, including the shopping cart and checkout section, through apps.
10 Tips on “How to Launch Your B2B eCommerce Efficiently” With Shopify
Download the free guide now
When to upgrade to Shopify Plus? When you need :
- Reduce your transaction costs
- Personalize the customer experience, including checkout
- Dedicated support and engineers from Shopify
- The ability to create and manage multiple international stores, up to 10, at no additional cost.
- To manage your customer relations in omnichannel
- Shopify Flow features to create workflows to automate repetitive tasks
- Access to Shopify B2B to manage your B2B e-commerce.
If your needs have evolved into any of these features, or if your sales volume exceeds $12,000,000/year, Shopify Plus is the right version for your online business.
If you’d like to delve deeper into the analysis, please don’t hesitate to contact us. As a certified Shopify Plus Partner agency with over 50 projects on the platform, the Novatize team has specialized business analysts and eCommerce strategists to assist you in your decision.
Make an appointment today with an eCommerce consultant to analyze your business reality.